Friday, February 22, 2008

Fear the DSP

Udi Dahan has just made a post which brought to my attention a new TLA (Three Letter Acronym) in the SOA space - DSP (Data Services Platform). I agree with Udi - this is all bad. Hopefully it will go away on its own.

Udi made a previous post citing similar criticism of Microsoft's then named Astoria product, which has now been re-badged as ADO.NET Data Services. I agree that this product has the potential to encourage people to expose CRUD interfaces at the service boundary, which for reasons I've previously explained are bad news.

The space in which this product should play is exposing data for consumption by Web clients in AJAX or Silverlight applications. In this case, the CRUD interface is used only inside the service boundary, which is fine.

If it is unclear to you as to why the Web client is inside the service boundary, stay tuned for my next series of posts which should clear the fog a bit.

No comments: